KerriAnn Schenck, RN, MSN
RIDERWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1711 Landrake Road, Towson, Maryland 21204
Nurse 410-825-9134 School: 410-887-3568 Fax: 410-887-4667
Health and Safety Information
Baltimore County Public Schools strive to provide your child with a safe and healthy learning environment. An experienced school nurse is assigned to each school. However, parents know their child the best so good communication is the key. Don’t be alarmed if you are contacted and please let us know if there is any change to your child’s health a soon as possible. Even with the best precautions we still may become ill!
Below are several important policies and protocols that parents/guardians should be aware of. Children should be kept home when they:
- Complain of feeling ill in the morning or won’t eat. Check their temperature. Students should not be sent if they have a temperature elevation of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more, even if giving medication lowers their temperature. Students should be fever free for 24 hours without medication, before returning. This reduces their chance of relapse or exposure to other illness while their immune system is still weakened.
- Have a continuous moist, productive sneeze or cough or a very red or painful sore throat.
- If they have vomited or have had diarrhea within the past 24 hours.
- If they experience symptoms from a chronic illness, such as asthma, that do not resolve after medication.
- If it is suspected or they have been diagnosed with a communicable disease (examples: strep throat, flu, etc.) Please report confirmed communicable diseases to the school nurse as soon as possible. This will help us in alerting others to look for similar symptoms so that early diagnoses and treatment can lessen the spread and severity of the illness for everyone!